Friday, August 31, 2012

Thrift Store Shelley

My grandma Helen was a wonderful woman.
She loved to tell detailed stories.....I mean DETAILED.
If she was showing you a pair of booties she had just knitted for the hospital charity bazaar..
(and she really was an amazing knitter, her stitches so meticulous that they looked machine made)
It would go something like this:
Come over and sit by me a minute and let me show you booties I am working on for the St Lukes hospital...you know they have an annual fundraiser to raise money....well I went to the store to get some yarn on tuesday.....wait maybe it was wednesday......no it was tuesday because I stopped at the King Soopers that day for eggs after my bowling league....wait I think that I got eggs AND milk that day.....well anywho....this yarn color is a yellow that is very hard to find and so I looked at the yarn store and they couldn't match it, well you know that yarns are done in dye lots and they just aren't the same color all the time...but anywho....I decided to go to "Thrift Store Mary's" on Thursday around 10 in the morning.....well no it wasn't 10 because your grandpa played golf that morning and he got back around 11 and so it must have been more like noon but I wanted  to see if she had the color I needed.........
wait......where are you going?
I haven't shown you the booties.

The reason I have been traveling down the Helen memory lane lately is that I went to a fabulous thrift store in Park City Utah last Monday...no wait it was Tuesday because.....no it was Monday because I went to Provo on Tuesday...
well anywho....
Grandma Helen LOVED thrift stores...
And she loved to talk about her friend "Thrift Store Mary"
Yes she actually called her that every time she talked about her.
How often was that you say?
A lot!
I am serious.
I always wondered if Mary whatever her last name was knew she was known in our family as "Thrift Store Mary"?
I wonder if she realizes I can't step into a Thrift store without thinking of this faceless, last nameless person who dominated my Grandma Helen's stories.
Well anywho.....
I spent a LOT of money at the Thrift store!
But whoooo doggies I got a lot of bang for my buck!
And so in honor of "Thrift Store Mary" and my wonderful grandma Helen I am going to be posting what I got for a 100 dollars in the Park City Thrift Store.
I know that "Thrift Store Mary" would be estatic
and Grandma Helen would be proud.

I start with the lovely piece of luggage I am clutching in my arms at the Salt Lake City Airport.
My expression is blue steel for those who know what I mean
I got more stares and questions about that piece of luggage than you would believe.
And not just because of my rocking model poses either....
It seems that retro is the new pink.
I bought it for my photography business and fallen in love with it as a traveling companion.
Double score!!

No comments: